Friday, September 3, 2010

The Art of Gardening


So that no one feels like I am killing plants in my office but running a farm somewhere else, I thought I would further prove why I should not be trusted with agriculture. Earlier this summer I decided that even though I didn't have my own house and therefore could not plant a garden, I could at least grow herbs.

This is yet another venture that I blame/credit Kelli with starting. You see, I went to her house where there is lots and lots of land. She and her husband had planted all these foods that I thought would be amazing to have right outside my front door. Alas, I do not have land, I have an apartment that my landlord would frown upon my turning the backyard into a farm. Instead, I came up with the grand plan to grow herbs.

So off to Lowe's I went. It was completely overwhelming and I left. Then I went to Target and was able to find everything I thought I needed. After reading the directions, I planted basil, cilantro, rosemary and parsley. I never eat parsley, but it seemed like a good idea in the moment.

A few weeks later, I had basil, and a ton of it. There were three sprigs of cilantro and nothing else. A week later, the cilantro was gone and the basil was flourishing. I used the basil to make a few dishes and then tragedy. It all died. In a matter of moments. This is what it looks like now :(

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, none of the herbs I attempted to grow this year survived. :-)

    But I am determined to keep trying. Mint! Basil! Cilantro! These should all be living in my house.

    ReplyDelete