Friday, October 28, 2011

Doing the Right Thing

I was really compelled to come to work Thursday 30 minutes late. I didn't leave until 7:30 Wed night, the caterers weren't coming in until 7:00 am, and the client wouldn't be in until 8:30. So what would it hurt if I didn't come in until 6:30? I kept telling myself it would be fine. In the end, I was still here at 6:00 am - in the dark, by myself for no real reason.

I blame the following for this:

1. My liberal arts education and the 40 ethics classes I was forced to take in order to graduate.
2. My parents who have an insane work ethic (well, they did when they worked).
3. My constant need to always be right - I can't complain about other people cutting their day short when I do it too.

Somehow I doubt anyone else would have had such a bad internal struggle over 30 minutes that no one would miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment